Saturday, April 4, 2009
Rest Day
It's snowing again and I'm over it! We got in March and are still getting in early April the winter we never had. We need the moisture, but I need to ride! The good news is today is my official "rest day" per this week's training schedule. After recovering Monday from Sunday's race, I endured four straight days of Robb kicking my ass in the gym... remotely from sunny Florida! Bastard. So, I'm actually enjoying the break today.
Going back to last Sunday, it was tough. After ANOTHER storm dumped 6+ inches of snow the Thursday before, the track was super muddy. I went out for practice on Saturday and got in about 6 laps before I decided I'd had enough. I accumulated probably 60-70 extra pounds of the Berthoud clay on my bike, which took me 37 minutes and $22 to remove at the car wash. Ridiculous. When I left the track, however, the maintenance crew was removing the top layer of mud with front-end loaders and plowing the rest of it in with the dry stuff underneath. It was looking like Sunday was going to be nice.
Sunday morning practice was cold and the mud was still frozen, so it was hard to tell what the track would be like as things warmed up. My schedule was early, which is generally good at this track, as it tends to get dry, hard packed, and slick as the day progresses. My first race was my first ride in the 40+A (expert) class. The top 3 riders in this class are faster than me (temporarily), but I'm not quite sure how much faster. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 fastest guys weren't there, so I would have to wait to find out. I got the holeshot (that's first to the first turn, for those not hip to the motocross lingo) and actually led for a couple of laps before getting out of "the" rut and into the deep muck, which sucked all of my momentum and allowed #77 to pass me. He then pulled away and I finished 2nd. My second race of the day was the 25+ intermediate class. I got the holeshot again, but this time rode away to a win. My third race was the 30+ intermediate class. I got a bad start and was 5th out of the first turn, which is where I ended up. Because of the mud, the track was very one-lined making it difficult to pass. I knew starts would be critical all day and I blew it. In the afternoon, the track was cut in nicely, but still offered only a few opportunities to pass. In moto 2 of the 40+ class, #77 got the holeshot. I hung with him and almost passed him on the 1st lap, but had nothin' else for him and he pulled away to about an 8 second lead by the end of the race. I have some work to do here. I holeshot moto 2 of the 25+ class and rode away with another win for 1st overall, and holeshot the 30+ moto and took the win, which, combined with a 5th, was good for 2nd overall. Overall, so to speak, not a bad day with a 1st and two 2nds.
Today? It's still snowing! I guess I'll relax, watch the Shell Houston Open golf tournament, and hope the track is not too muddy tomorrow. BRRRRUUUUUUUUP!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment